|General arrangement looking forward.|
|Header tank (top) and expansion vessel (red)|
Further inspection showed the hot water tanks used, (there were two), were not proper boat calorifiers able to stand the pressures found in a boats pumped system, but were simple domestic types only tested to a much lower pressure, (almost certainly contributing to the original failure). These were tested to 1.4 bar, whereas the pressure they need to withstand is more than double that figure.
|New calorifier made to order and delivered next day!|
|Copper pipe is to boiler and radiators, domestic hot water in plastic.|
Our stove has a large back boiler connected to pipes that both heat the water tank and also several radiators throughout the boat - this all had to be drained down of course, making the stove unusable However we thought we would have no issue getting a new installation in before we needed to have heating available in the winter.
Then Michael broke his ankle spectacularly, and we were hardly able to get near the boat for several months. We were rapidly facing the possibility the boat would be uninhabitable in the winter months. However we finally managed to get on board for several short stays of only 2 or 3 full days at a time, and, having ordered up a custom made marine calorifier, I set about reinstating everything in a new location, including relocating a radiator in the bathroom, and adding a new one in the bedroom. By some mercy much of this went into November, but it was just about mild enough that we could survive a few days without heat. Finally it was back together enough to refill, (thankfully there were no leaks!), and to try out. It works, and now produces hot water very much better than the appalling arrangements we were forced to rip out.
|Looking backwards - radiator is reused, but relocated.|
Finally I regret not having taken pictures of the original arrangements, hemmed in by a but constructed highly over the top, that allowed almost no access to sort out problems. It was a maze of pipework and joints almost beyond belief, and I should have kept some record of it. Instead Ifilled up quite a bit of space at Northampton recycling centre, with no permanent record of what was in the void we now have - so the opportunity for "before" and "after" pictures has been lost.