(Retrospective post for 12th March)
|HA3 was 33 horsepower and the "13" identifies it as 1963 build|
|The "old" engine again.|
|And the HA3 from the other side|
Then, in order......
|The "new" HA2 - green again, of course,|
|And the HA2 from the other side.|
|HP rating relates to pre-marinisation use. The 11 at the end means 1961 build.|
|The safer alternative to driving an alternator|
|And finally from above.|
It was quickly pointed out to us that the reduced length of the engine now resulted in a large gap between the follow in front of it, and the engine. So a piece of new flooring was also agreed. After a bit of deliberation, we decided to also have a proper cage made to cover the alternator, and the belts and pulleys associated with it. The only loo on "Sickle" is beside the engine, and visiting it alongside spinning belts has always felt a bit hazardous. Now when a steerer watches someone dive into the engine hole to use to loo, they can be more confident they will emerge again later uninjured.
However, the end result, despite all the work, remains much as I said at the start: "Green engine in "Sickle" is replaced by a very similar looking green engine, differing really only by having one less cylinder". As I also said, hard to make a very interesting story from that. The biggest visible difference is the bigger space forward of the engine, and the cage to protect the alternator drive, just mentioned.
Finally anyone who has looked closely at the photo captions may have noticed that we have replaced a 1963 engine with a 1961 one. Yes, the "new" engine is indeed older than the old engine!