Wednesday 17 July 2019

Almost back on the Grand Union

(Boat Flamingo - posted by Cath)

This is a fairly easy day, just a few locks, so we weren't too fussed about getting going too quickly. Alan started steering, and I decided that it was time that I had a proper clean around. There was a lot of dust in the carpets, and we'd managed to transfer a lot of dried grass inside at All Oaks Wood.


Hillmorton locks
However, on the way I contacted our friend Polly to ask if she wanted to have dinner with us that evening somewhere in Braunston. Yes, she said, she'd love to. Did I want to go to the gym with her that afternoon?

Ooo! Yes, I did. But we couldn't be too late going because the small gym is getting very busy late afternoon at the moment. Immediately there was a bit of a problem - could we get to Braunston in time?

A quick stop in Rugby was essential for a few things at the supermarket. We were lucky, all the moorings were full but the water point was empty, an ideal spot to fill up with water while I made a very quick visit to the Tesco. I got back to the boat just at the point that the tank was full.

Yes - the bow needs a repaint even more now it's been welded up!
On to Hillmorton, and while one of the pounds was very low we weren't delayed much with the three locks there. All that was needed then was the 7 or so miles to Braunston. These aren't quick miles. The canal is shallow, and winding and there are lots of boats moored along it - requiring us to slow down while passing. I did a stint steering, but realised that I hadn't had a bath for a day or so, and I was now covered in dust from my boatkeeping tasks that morning, so I persuaded Alan to steer again while I had a very quick shower/bath.

We got to Braunston in good time. People on another boat told us that Braunston was 'chocka', so we moored on the Northern Oxford before the main moorings, and I walked to meet up with Polly.

I thoroughly enjoyed going to the gym. I used the treadmill to check that I can run a mile comfortably in 10 minutes (OK, yes, I'm breaking no records there, but I haven't run for 15 years until recently), then another 15 minutes of intervals to try to build up my speed. Then weights. I felt great afterwards. I wish that I could go to the gym more often, but I am so often away that any gym membership becomes uneconomic.

The dogs, particularly Odin, behaved like idiots when they saw their special friend Polly. Then a pleasant meal in the Old Plough. 

One more day to home.

All Oaks to Braunston
Miles 15.0, Locks: 3
Total Miles 354.7, Total Locks: 349

No comments:

Post a Comment

We have (finally!) been alerted to the fact that many people have been unable to post comments on this blog. (It seemed a bit odd, as people used to, but it has stopped occurring). We have changed some settings, so hopefully now possible again. Comments will be moderated, and you will need to enter word verification.