Thursday 9 May 2019

Back on Track

(Boat Flamingo - posted by Alan)

About to pass through the swing bridge at Stretton
It was another damp day - not intolerably so, but one where we decided to rotate steerers pretty regularly to stop anybody standing out and getting cold and wet for too long.

Not a lot to report really, other than that we have made good progress, and after losing the majority of our first day we are now back on track, being roughly where the plans say we should be at the end of day three.

Entering our only lock of the day at Hawkesbury

I had my best possible chance yet of trying for a "round in one" 180 degree turn at Hawkesbury Junction - there were no other boats about to get in my way in any manner whatsover. However I still failed to get round by some margin. My only excuse is that Flamingo handles very sluggishly compared to an empty unconverted boat. I'm far from convinced I will ever achieve it with Flamingo, but no doubt some more expert than I am probably could.




Starting to make the 180 degree turn.

There has been a moment of humour during the day. I was taking a bath while Cath was at the tiller, and I became aware that we had stopped and pulled in to the side, and that Cath and David were examining the front of the boat.  Apparently some people walking the tow-path had told Cath there was a hole on the bow. Indeed there was - a neat square hole that is one of the vents for the gas cylinders located in the front locker. It's meant to be there of course!


I'd like to pretend it came around in one - it didn't unfortunately.

Sorry - no pictures of other historic boats today.  There were some, but I had left my camera inside in the dry. I certainly spotted "Beaulieu" on its home mooring, and fuel boat "Auriga" on the move - I'm always grateful to the coal boats for helping to "dredge" the channel for us!

Newbold to Springwood Haven
Miles 19.1, Locks: 1
Total Miles 41.2, Total Locks:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

We have (finally!) been alerted to the fact that many people have been unable to post comments on this blog. (It seemed a bit odd, as people used to, but it has stopped occurring). We have changed some settings, so hopefully now possible again. Comments will be moderated, and you will need to enter word verification.