Friday 17 May 2019

One very small lock - one rather larger tunnel

(Boat Flamingo - posted by Cath)

(Late post for Friday 17th May)


I was woken by heavy rain in the night, and it was still raining when we got up. We'd thought that it might be cloudy, but we weren't expecting heavy rain. Alan somehow got volunteered to start the steering for the day.

The curious stop lock at Dutton, just before Preston Brook Tunnel
Shortly before Preston Brook Tunnel, near Dutton, we went through the stop lock at Dutton. This is weird, as the lock is wider at one end than the other. Which must restrict the movement of some of the huge brick-like 'widebeam narrowboats' (contradiction in terms) that we have started to see again now that we are out of the narrow canals and locks of the south Midlands. Near to this is a wet dock, that used to be leased by Tim Leech, but since his untimely death a couple of years back this seems unused. It is sad to see places that were once thriving canal businesses unused.

Waiting for a timed passage at Preston Brook.
Preston Brook Tunnel is one-way at a time, so allows entry for only ten minutes every hour - on the hour to ten past going north, from half past going south. We had to tie up and wait for a while, as we had just missed our passage north.

We turned right onto the Bridgewater canal at 'waters meet' but moored at a pleasant spot very soon afterwards for lunch. After that it is lockless miles. The canal is broad, and deep, allowing even Flamingo a fairly easy passage, but there are long sections of on-line moorings, meaning regular slowing to a crawl. People tend to notice Flamingo, not just because she is noisy, so we don't risk upsetting people by thrashing past. 

The miles to Lymm went fairly quickly, with Alan and I taking turns at steering. At Lymm we found a nice mooring and I walked to the local Sainsbury's to go shopping - again. Then I cooked dinner, leaving mine to heat up later, and walked up the hill to the local leisure centre where I went swimming.

Another boat still trading on retail fuel - Liam with Bellatrix
I have a plan to go 'wild swimming' with my brother when we get to Hebden Bridge. Paul lives in Huddersfield, and regularly takes part in local triathlons, so is used to open water swimming. Odin Dogge loves swimming, so we are hoping to take him swimming near to Hebden Bridge - he doesn't yet know that people can swim too. Paul has advised me to buy a wet suit to avoid hypothermia (yes, I have a wet suit on the boat). I've bought the cheapest that I can, since I'm not sure that I will ever go 'wild swimming' again. However, it is several years since I last went swimming anywhere, so I thought that I should try to find a pool to make sure that I can still swim.

Delphinus - a "Small Northwich" like Bellatrix, but with a cabin conversion.
Note by Alan - I am very happy that Cath is now far better equipped to go in the canal than I am should we get a major fouling of the propeller on this trip, that it is not possible to clear by just being on the bank!

Back at the boat I ate my dinner and fell asleep very soon afterwards. I've walked miles today, and I really am not used to swimming.

Further note by Alan - Whilst Cath went swimming, I took both dogs for a fairly extended walk up the towpath, eventually finding some adjoining fields that allowed them to run around considerably more, and to burn off energy.


Near Saltersford Tunnel to Lymm (Bridgewater Canal)
Miles 15.3, Locks: 1
Total Miles 143.2, Total Locks:89

No comments:

Post a Comment

We have (finally!) been alerted to the fact that many people have been unable to post comments on this blog. (It seemed a bit odd, as people used to, but it has stopped occurring). We have changed some settings, so hopefully now possible again. Comments will be moderated, and you will need to enter word verification.