(With both boats - posted by Alan)
(Retrospective Post for Tuesday 7th August
Once again the blog is in heavy arrears! There are two excuses this time.
Cath and I are unusually working both boats on our own. This is hard
work, with both of us tied up in it for the whole cruising day. As a
result other things tend to pile up on us, and the by the evenings we
are left both busy and exhausted. It's not just about cooking and
domestic chores - dogs also need to be walked, for example.
I have managed to leave the power supply for my laptop at home, and
that PC contains my usual blogging environment, including a holding area
for photos, and software to resize them. A 12 volt power supply I
thought I had no longer works, (Dells are very insistent about only
running on proper Dell power supplies), and I have only been able to make the most
limited use of it, the batteries now being completely dead.
So this is best belated endeavours, using a rather slow and ill equiped tablet - at least it has a proper keyboard.
are travelling slowly from our home mooring in Northamptonshire to
Grendon Dock, near Atherstone on the Coventry Canal - weare certainly
not rushing with just the two of us. Even so the plan on the first day
was to get up the Buckby flight, but two things scuppered that.
we discovered overnight that Odin apparently had an ear infection. Not
wishing to be dealing with that without access to a vet we booked him
in to one near to our home mooring, and paused there for the appointment
as we passed through by boat. It doesn't seem to serious, but there
are drops to apply twice daily.
We might still just
have got up Buckby locks before nightfall, but passing through a bridge
in Brockhall Spinney, I was brought to a more or less dead halt by
something on the prop. Cath was a long way ahead on Sickle, so initially
I tried to deal with it alone, but was getting nowhere. Whatever it was
was not coming off with a shaft, and the bank height didn't allow me to
lie on the towpath and reach under.
I have never got in the cut
to clear a prop before, but decided this was our only hope. Fortunately
we have had all this sweltering weather, so it really was not that
cold. My heart sank as I quickly realised it was a tyre over the blades
- I have heard too many cases of historic boats needing to be towed
somewhere and docked to get tyres off. Fortunately though, with a bit of
heavy manhandling this one did eventually come off without tools. It
was a motorcycle tyre, and frankly I was surprised it was large enough
to have managed to go over the bats of the propeller.
we also now have a bath on board, so I was able to clean up fairly
easily, but by now we were far too late to start the flight, so ended up
moored at the bottom, with the dulcet tones of the M1 on one side, and
those of the West Coast Mian Line on the other. Fortunately, again, I
think I was too tired to notice!
The are no pictures due to the problems -
it appears I got lucky and Cath didn't actually manage to take the one
she though she had of me stripped off and in the cut!
High House Wharf, Weedon to Whilton
Miles per boat: 4.8, Miles both boats: 9.5, Locks:0
Total Miles both boats: 9.5, Total Locks both boats: 0